Since 1924, Toastmasters International has been recognised as the leading organisation dedicated to communication and leadership skill development. Through its worldwide network of clubs, each week Toastmasters helps men and women of every ethnicity, education level and profession build their competence in communication so they can gain the confidence to lead others. Toastmasters International is non-profit and over 4,000,000 can testify it works.
New Zealand is made up of almost 300 clubs divided into two Districts, District 72 - Wellington, Wairarapa, Tasman, West Coast, Canterbury, Otago and Southland - and District 112 - Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Central North Island, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay and Central Districts. These two Districts comprise around 5500 members. Members, and the public, are welcome at all Toastmasters clubs in New Zealand and around the world.
Through its clubs, Toastmasters provides a supportive and positive learning experience. Club meetings are usually 1 - 2 hours in duration and held weekly, fortnightly or monthly allowing members to perform meeting roles, prepared speeches, impromptu speeches, and give and receive feedback to develop greater self-confidence and personal growth.
358,000 member - 16,800 clubs - 143 countries
People join Toastmasters to become:
Better Speakers and better Leaders
Toastmasters will give you the skills and confidence you need to effectively express yourself in any situation. Whether you are a mature manager, student, young professional, career advancer or looking to make an impact in your community, Toastmasters is the most efficient, supportive, enjoyable and affordable way of gaining great communication skills. You'll improve your interpersonal communication and be more persuasive and confident when giving speeches.
Benefits as a Speaker
1. Feel confident and comfortable giving a speech
2. Organise speeches so they effectively convey your message
3. Create speech openings that capture interest and attention
4. Write string and memorable conclusions
5. Speak without using filler words
6. Choose precise and vivid words that carry your message
7. Think quickly and clearly on your feet
8. Not depend on notes when giving a speech
While some are born confident, charismatic leaders, others must work to develop their leadership skills. Through Toastmasters, you'll gain the practice to become the leader and speaker you want to be. You will also sharpen your management skills, become a better negotiator, gain trust and inspire your team. Learn to be decisive!
Benefits as a Leader
1. Plan and conduct effective meetings
2. Improve listening skills
3. Learn to delegate and motivate others
4. Give better sales presentations
5. Hone team-building and management skills
6. Work better with fellow employees
7. Effectively develop and present ideas
8. Offer and accept constructive criticism more objectively